Pages

18 Apr 2014

Walking in circles!

Mposo oyo Yuki abotaki! Yuki gave birth this week. She's being very shy about it, so we haven't yet identified the infant's sex. Fingers crossed for Yoda.
And over at P Group, we encountered with P West again. It was only brief and not so many interactions because the sky soon clouded over and the rain hit hard. We were too far away to meet up with the afternoon trackers, so we waited until 12:00 before leaving. It was raining so hard that it was difficult to see where we were going. Though I got the feeling that we were walking in circles, I trusted the trackers. But without the sun to navigate, at 12:32 we ended up at the exact same place we'd left the bonobos!
I got out my GPS and compass and pointed us towards the nearest trail, which we hit within 5 minutes. Being at the edge of P East's range, the walk back took over 1 1/2 hours, and it rained all afternoon. I don't think I've ever been so wet. When we crossed Lokoli river it had raised by almost a foot. Now is the beginning of the (hopefully) shorter rainy season. Made hot coffee for the trackers when we got back and could laugh about walking in circles!

No comments:

Post a Comment